What times (and where) before and after school hours are children supervised at school?
- Before school
The school provides supervision on the playground 8:30am – 8:40am. We also supervise students having free breakfast in the lunchroom 8:15am – 8:40am.
- After school
The school provides supervision at the Glenarm St. entrance 3:30pm – 3:45pm. At the end of the school day, all children must wait for pickup at the school’s Glenarm St. entrance. There is no supervision after school on the playground, or anywhere else in the school (unless it’s through Kaleidoscope or an after-school enrichment). After 3:45, school staff members bring any children still waiting at the Glenarm St. entrance to the office, where we contact their families.
How can I sign my child up for before- or after-school care at school?
Kaleidoscope Corner provides before- and after-school care at Polaris. For questions about the program, costs, and availability, please visit the Kaleidoscope Corner website or call (720)424- 8291.
What should I do if my child is coming to school after the morning bell?
If your student arrives after 8:40 a.m., come to the office, sign your student in, and let us know the reason for tardiness. Then you’ll walk your student to his or her class. If you bring your child to school after his or her teacher has taken attendance, and you don’t come to the office first, the tardiness will show in your child’s school record as “unexcused.” You will also receive an automated call from the attendance line that your child has been marked absent.
What should I do if, during the school day, I need to change my child’s plans for transportation home from school?
Please call the front office before 3:00pm at 720-424-7860. One of our staff members will walk a note down to your child’s teacher to arrange for the transportation change. After 3:00pm, we may not be able to find your child in time to make a bus.
What should I do if I need to pick my child up early from school?
If you need to schedule the occasional appointment during school hours, please send a note to your child’s teacher requesting early dismissal for that day, including the time that the parent will pick up the student. When you come to school to pick up your child, please come to the office first to pick up a dismissal slip. Then you’ll bring the dismissal slip to your child’s teacher when you go to the classroom to get your child.
How many school absences are allowed?
Polaris has an attendance policy in accordance with Colorado School Attendance Law and Denver Public Schools’ “Denver Plan.” These guidelines allow for 10 absences per school year. If your child’s absences reach a level of concern, (outside of medical or family emergencies), a school social worker will contact you about completing an attendance contract with the school.
How can I arrange for my child to have hot lunches?
You can purchase school lunches online through My School Bucks. You’ll pay on a per-lunch basis. The lunch room also accepts cash payment for the occasional lunch.
How can I arrange for my child to ride the bus?
The DPS Department of Transportation creates bus routes and assigns eligible children to bus routes based on their home addresses. Bus rides are free for students with a bus pass called the “+Pass.” Students can ride the bus any day that they and their family choose.
- If you would like for your child to be re-assigned to a different bus route, please contact the DPS Department of Transportation.
- If you don’t know your child’s bus route, or if you need a bus pass (or replacement bus pass), contact the Polaris office (720-424-7860).
- When you decide which days your child will ride the bus, please notify your child’s teacher of your plans, so that he or she can send your child in the right direction at the end of the school day.
Where should I meet my child for pick-up after school?
- If you’re picking up your child at the end of the regular school day, please meet him or her at the Glenarm St. school entrance between 3:30pm and 3:45pm. For more information on pick-up protocol, please see our Drop-Off and Pick-Up guidelines.
- If you’re picking your child up at Kaleidoscope or after an after-school enrichment, please enter school through the Tremont St. entrance, and proceed to the room where your child’s enrichment’s room or Kaleidoscope room.