Kara Chitwood and I, your 2014-2015 Volunteer Coordinators, would like to welcome you to the “Step Up For Polaris” section of the weekly Epost. This column will include all of our current school wide volunteer needs and is meant to be a clearinghouse to consolidate our volunteer needs. That said, if you have volunteer needs for a group you are chairing or for anything at all, please pass those needs to us and we will include them in the next column. This tool also helps us avoid the need to send out panicky last minute requests for help, which I think everyone can appreciate!
The tool really only works well, though, if you each take a moment to scan the list every week to see if there is a volunteer need that meets your interests and time available! Our mantra remains “We all do what we can” and no matter how small or big each contribution is, it all adds up to an amazingly supportive community for our children, teachers and staff and is what makes Polaris the special place that it is. Thank you and we look forward to volunteering with many of you this year!
Tammy Chamberlain & Kara Chitwood
firstname.lastname@example.org (303) 831-951
Open Volunteer Positions for the 2013-2014 School Year
Please peruse this list of needs and contact one of us if you have questions about the position:
- PTO Chair Elect to serve with our current PTO Chair and prepare to take the reins next year
- Community Dinners Coordinator - Coordinate fundraising dinners at local restaurants
- Love of the Arts Coordinator - Coordinate with Art and Music Teachers for Set Up of event
- Chili Cook Off Coordinator - Event runs concurrently with Love of the Arts in April 2015
- Community Garden Manager(s) - Oversee the management of this wonderful asset to our school
- Reading Buddies Program Coordinator - Work with teachers to provide volunteers for one on one reading help with children who would benefit from additional reading support
- Room Parents Needed! Now that we have a few days under our belt with the school routine, take a moment to sign up to be a Room Parent in your child’s classroom. Room Parents play an important role in supporting your child’s teacher, facilitating communication with parents and building community among your class and grade. We need at least one Room Parent per classroom. Grab a friend to share the job if you’d like. For more information, feel free to contact Carmen Mix at email@example.com (new email). Sign up here!
- Electives Help Needed! We also need volunteers to help teach, assistant, fund or sub in the electives program on Fridays. If you would like to teach or help in any way, please let Sherry Beardshear know at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-293-2780. For more information about the Electives, please keep reading!
Thank you to the following parents who have already stepped up for the 2014-2015 school year!
- Leta Sharpe & Cristina Muldoon will once again co-chair the Staff Appreciation Lunch Committee.
- Jay Hilty will continue to keep our website current and relevant.
- Christie Gosch & Alex Kwan will publish our school directory.
- Alenka Han agreed to manage the popular Polaris T-shirt sales for another year.
- Jay Vasconcellos & Megan Webber Rosenzweig have signed on again to produce the yearbook and manage the sales – a big and important job indeed!
- New Polaris parent Carmen Mix will take over as the Room Parent Coordinator.
- The always energetic Molly Kirschling will continue to head up Grocery Card Sales, Lost and Found, Box Tops and Electronics Recycling, and Kristee Paschall-Johnson will assist with Lost and Found.
- Jennifer Faris & Erica Kushihashi will head up the Original Works Fundraiser.
- Steph Friday is already actively working to train our children and expand the Compost and Recycling programs.
- Mark Herlinger will continue as our Safety Chair.
- Eve Cohen-Porter will continue to chair our exciting Art/Science Program.
- Margaret Batchelor agreed to serve again as the parent liaison for the Salute to Scientists.
- Katie Weber & Gwen Kerby will kick off the first fundraiser of the year with the Chinook Coupon Books.
Kat Rains & Jennifer Zuniga for joining the Epost team and for all the returning Epost contributors. Please see bottom of Epost for a complete listing.